The sketches for the design of the 4 instrument.
The guitar rail unit for the pinball design.
The dinosaur theremin unit. design of the spine and the body, hidden iside is the core of arduino.
The octopus unit. Design
When searching for plastic pipe for the frame, I have came across the metal pipe parts at a store. A sudden thought of using metal for the device. I got enough parts for making a cube frame, the Arduino module can be at the center of the frame. While the speaker can go inside with the cables going into the hole of the pipe.
Arranging the Arduino and Solenoid system on the Stratocaster. The idea is to create a pinball system on the guitar fret. However, th sound is not remarkable as it only acts as a sliding sound.
Stegosauremin is a combination of Theremin design. The idea rooted from my draft of creating a metal spine like arrangement for the theremin antenna. It reminds me of the spine of a Stegosaurus. I don’t know why, but that’s the interesting part in making things. The unexpected idea directed me to try using ready-made toy as the body of the theremin.
Common theremin design has not escaped the typical musical machine look. The recent moog theremin shares a more space age design as a spaceship. However, I feels like the form can be much playful. I appreciate the Japanese inventor Maya Denki method of combining playfulness into the instrument. I regard them as the pioneer of such design in the 21st century as musical instrument has followed the track of “professional” look, getting farther away from the fun nature. Surely,the artist Yuri Suzuki is sharing the same method as them.The recent Sweedish instrument companyTeenage Engineering as well use the similar method.
Stegosauremin may be the most simple device within the planned 4 instrument. I cut opened the toy, removed the cotton and stuck the theremin unit into it. The hardest part of the creation is that the antenna was affected once the unit is located inside the dino. I have to fine tune the pitch of the theremin after putting everything inside. This takes a lot of time to adjust. I believed a programming method of pushing the pitch low is more efficient than using my hand to twist the small knob inside. One method may be wiring the core unit to an external knob for easy adjustment of pitch and volume. I think I can add that later for performance concern. As an instrument, its pretty ready. I would paint it white afterwards.
I did perform it a bit,I feel people’s response is polarized.But its fun.